Blogs from March, 2021


With roughly 50-percent of marriages ending in divorce, most everyone knows a friend or family member who’s ended their marriage. And while divorce may be more common than years ago, it’s still hard to fully understand the process until you go through it yourself.

While our divorce lawyers will walk you through every step of the process, you can ease some of the stress a divorce can cause by knowing what to expect.

Texas Divorce Lawyers Answer Your Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need to have a lawyer?

While you’re not legally required to have a lawyer when you file for divorce, most people would agree that it’s highly advisable. A lawyer does so much more than handle paperwork — they will be your advocate and fight for everything you deserve, help the process move along smoothly, reduce stress, and protect your rights.

How soon can I be divorced after filing?

Here in Texas, there’s a mandatory “waiting period” of 60 days, meaning you can not be formally divorced until two months after you file. That being said, even amicable divorces are rarely finalized on day 61. Typically, divorces in Texas take between six months and one year.

Do I qualify for spousal support?

Contrary to popular belief, being granted spousal support is relatively rare. And if you are granted support, it likely won’t last for the rest of your life. When determining if you qualify for support, a few things will be considered, including how long you were married, how old you were when you got married, your and your spouse's education level, your quality of life while married, and several other factors.

Does Texas have ‘no-fault’ divorce ?

Yes! In Texas and across America, no-fault divorce is the most common way people file. If you file for a no-fault divorce, you’re essentially saying that the divorce is not one person’s fault, but rather the two of you have irreconcilable differences that are preventing the marriage from working any longer.

What happens if I can’t find my partner?

Even if you can’t find your spouse, you must serve them with papers in order to move forward with the divorce. However, the court does offer people in this situation a few options, including hiring a process server (if you know where your spouse is but they are avoiding you), mail service, and alternative services, such as publishing a notice of the divorce in the newspaper or posting a notice in the courthouse (in order to have alternative service, you must get permission from the court prior to doing so).

Ready to put an experienced, dedicated team on your side? Contact Andrae Law, PLLC at (512) 668-7133 to speak with our seasoned divorce lawyers today.